Enrolment Step 1: Should I Enrol?
HCAI applies to you if you or your business provides treatment goods and/or services to a person injured in a motor vehicle collision who:
- is insured by an Ontario motor vehicle liability policy
- is receiving treatment goods and services provided in Ontario (if some services are received outside of Ontario, those should be invoiced separately).
Furthermore, each service location must be registered separately with HCAI. Multiple branches of a health care business cannot use the same HCAI account. Each Facility location enrolled with HCAI operates separately, maintaining its own Authorizing Officer, Facility Users, and OCF documents.
For more information, you should review the HCAI Guideline, published by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO). Appendix 2 is particularly handy to determine if your services are subject to the guideline.
Still not sure? If all of the following statements apply to you, enrolling with HCAI is appropriate:
- I currently own or operate a health care business
- I currently have a patient who requires treatment goods and/or services that are a result of a motor vehicle collision
- I am providing treatment goods and/or services for this patient independently of another Facility (not as an affiliated provider) that is already enrolled with HCAI
- I have reviewed the HCAI guideline
- The treatment goods and/or services I provide are subject to the HCAI guideline (Not all motor vehicle collision treatments require submission through HCAI, so it’s important to check the HCAI guideline to make sure it applies to you!)
Note: Accounts that are both unused and unlicensed will be automatically deactivated 180 days after the start date, so you should only enroll if you will treat an auto insurance claimant within 180 days. An unused account is one that has not submitted or saved a form in HCAI since their start date. Once deactivated, if you wish to use HCAI, you must enrol with HCAI again.
If you’ve decided that enrolling with HCAI is right for you, continue to Step 2: How to Enrol.